Thursday, February 2, 2012

Devotional Thoughts on Joshua/Judges Part I

Wow, it's been quite some time since I've posted on here.  Though I was certainly enjoying the deep-thinking aspect of blogging, I've decided to instead opt for something more practical and readable.  So from here on out, it's shorter entries with a more devotional aim.

Those of you who follow me on twitter have likely caught on to the fact that I've been spending time in Joshua and Judges here recently.

This morning and in the coming entries I hope to draw your attention to a seemingly less-exciting portion of Joshua - chapters 13-19.  In this section Joshua is dispersing the spoils of war to the Israelites - the various cities and lands that had been given over to them by Yahweh.  When observing a map of the territory that the Lord gave them, the unequal distribution becomes quickly evident.  Some tribes received more, some received less.  Some, like the Levites, received none at all because "the offerings  by fire to the Lord God of Israel are their inheritance" (Josh. 13:14).  So, what do we take from this?  I plan to spend a few blog entries unpacking the implications. But, for today, I'll give you a preview outline:

1. The land is the Lord's to take as he pleases (Chapters in Joshua prior to 13)

2. The land is the Lord's to give as he pleases (Josh. 13:6-7)

3. The point is not the value or quantity of the gift, but the direct object of the faith that accompanies it.  (Josh. 23-24, Matt. 15:21-28)

Feel free to ponder on these truths.  On the next entry I'll begin, naturally, with some thoughts on the first point.

Grace and Peace,

Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment